When Hurricane Florence made landfall on Sept. 14, the Carolinas braced for impact. For those American Legion Auxiliary members in that region who have been affected by the hurricane, there are funds available to help aid those members in the aftermath of the storm.
Since the hurricane came to shore, more than 30 people have died, numerous houses have been destroyed, over a million businesses and homes have experienced power outages, and flash flooding has occurred throughout that region.
The ALA’s Auxiliary Emergency Fund (AEF) is a national grant assistance program that provides temporary emergency help to eligible members of the American Legion Auxiliary who have suffered a significant financial setback as the result of an act of nature, such as a hurricane, as well as other crises.
Eligible ALA members can apply online for an AEF grant by logging in to the Members Only section on the ALA national website. Or, members may request an application by contacting their unit or department headquarters.
For other members who wish to help Hurricane Florence victims, donate to the fund. Remember, donations are tax deductible. Every dollar helps!
For those who need assistance
– Eligibility: Those who have been members of the American Legion Auxiliary for at least the immediate past two consecutive years, AND whose current membership dues are paid at the time the emergency occurs (three consecutive years’ dues) may apply for assistance.
– Assistance provided: The maximum grant amount is $2,400, disbursed as the Auxiliary Emergency Fund Grant Committee determines.
– Grant funds may be used only for emergency shelter, food, or utilities. AEF funds may not be used for medical expenses or debt, such as that on credit cards.
– To ensure the integrity of the program, the national AEF Grant Committee directs payments to a provider such as a mortgage or utility company.
– Members may request an application by contacting their unit or department headquarters and must submit their completed applications to an officer of the ALA unit to which the member belongs. The unit president and secretary will complete the unit portion and forward the application to the department secretary. After verifying the member’s eligibility, the department secretary will submit the application to national headquarters for consideration by the AEF Grant Committee. Applications are reviewed by the national AEF case manager.
– The national AEF Grant Committee, comprised of representatives from Auxiliary National Headquarters and The American Legion, reviews each application and awards AEF assistance according to case findings.
For those who want to donate
Visit www.ALAforVeterans.org to use ALA’s secure online donation form. Under “select a fund,” choose Auxiliary Emergency Fund to help Hurricane Florence victims.
Donate by mail
Mail checks to:
American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters
Attention: Auxiliary Emergency Fund
8945 N. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46260
For more information on the AEF, visit www.ALAforVeterans.org (must log in).