Looking for a simple way to make a difference for families and educators in your community this back-to-school season?
Participate in Give 10 to Education.
The American Legion Auxiliary’s Give 10 to Education program collects donations of school supplies in multiples of 10.
Think 10 pencils, 10 notebooks, 10 glue sticks, 10 rulers — even 10 Box Tops for Education labels from your grocery items.
Find out what’s needed
Ready to get started? School supply needs differ according to school and grade, so your first step should be to check with local schools to see what they can use. Here are a few ways to learn what supplies to collect:
- Enlist the help of your members who are teachers.
- Reach out to your school contacts for ALA Girls State.
- Visit school websites for supply lists.
- Access the Give 10 to Education Suggested Donation Items and Tracking Sheet, available as an ALA Members Only resource on the national ALA Education Committee
- Check out our blog post, Contacting School Leaders in Summer Months, which includes hints for getting in touch before school is back in session.
Remember: As you’re compiling your lists of most-needed materials, make sure to include supplies for subjects like art, library, music, and physical education.
Get everyone involved
Go for the greatest impact with Give 10 to Education: Encourage members of your ALA unit andthe community at large to donate. You could even offer to take cash donations from folks who’d rather you do the shopping for them.
Need ideas for getting the word out?
- Place posters with collection boxes at high-traffic sites like grocery stores, banks, senior centers, and post offices. Don’t forget to empty the boxes regularly.
- If you have a unit-sponsored activity coming up, accept school supply donations for admission to the event.
- Alert your local media outlets about the Give 10 to Education drive, sharing information about how to donate.
- Post regular updates and instructions on all your social media accounts.
Share the supplies — and gratitude
As you distribute all those supplies you’ve collected, keep track of your accomplishments and take pictures along the way. And don’t forget to recognize those who step up to help the students and schools of your community.
- The national ALA Education Committee page contains a Give 10 to Education citation for members to download and present to donors.
- Use social media as another way to say thanks to those who contribute supplies or funding.
Are you an ALA member and want additional information about Give 10 to Education and other ALA education programs?
- Visit the national ALA Education Committee.
- Check out the national ALA Education Program Facebook group.
- Contact ALA National Headquarters at 317-569-4500 or education@ALAforVeterans.org.
Not an ALA member? Contact ALA National Headquarters or your local ALA unit to see how you can help Give 10 to Education.
What tips do you have for a successful school supply drive? Share your ideas in the comments below.